I have been waiting for this day for a long time! I researched and planned for a long time. I even did a post all about brown paper floor. And I am so excited to say that my brown paper floor is finally ready to be revealed! Are you super psyched to see them? You can read about how these floors are holding up by clicking here.
I started these floors on June 24. I finished them on July 11. It took me way longer than I had planned. I feel like I spent most of my summer break on these darn floors! But it ended up being worth it because I love them! I decided before hand to divide this task up into two sections. I started with the section where the laundry closet is. I did this for two reasons. The first reason was because I needed to remove the washer and dryer from the closet, and put them in the other half of the hallway. I would have rather done that before I had the paper floors completed. The second reason was that I figured I could use the laundry closet as my learning curve, because most all of it would be hidden underneath the washer and dryer.
First, I had to remove the carpet from the half of the hallway where I would be placing the washer/dryer. That was fairly easy. Next, LC pulled out the washer/dryer. Then I had to remove both the linoleum and the top layer of sub floor from the half of the hallway and closet I was planning to start with. That was the hardest part of the whole project, and the most difficult thing I have EVER done. Hands down. And I am still in awe of myself that I did it. I wish someone had video taped the event. And trust me, it was an event!
Once that sub floor was removed, we found a problem. The sub floor was wet, and it was coming from the utility closet right behind the laundry closet. The sub floor was moldy and mildewed, and it stunk! All of the flooring I removed stunk to high heaven. Thank God it is out of my house. That is all I have to say. We had to have someone come over here three different times before it was finally fixed, and I am not even going to bore you with the details. Just know that it is fixed, finally. So all of that delayed me. I needed a dry floor before I was willing to risk laying paper on it! Ok, now for some pictures of the process and the finished product. I will go into details about the process in between pictures.
This is the laundry closet. After the paper was glued down, and before stain. Before I started it, I painted the walls in this closet. I used a buttercup yellow that was left over from when I painted my kitchen cabinets. The walls in the hallway are going to be a light grey, so I thought a little pop of yellow when the laundry doors are open would be cute.
How I laid my Brown Paper Floor:
I will show you this hallway step by step as I get it finished. Next thing I will be showing you is the new paint. It looks and feels so much cleaner and “ours” down here. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about these floors if you just ask me in the comment section! Have a great week!
You may also like: